Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Media Log #2- National Tenn Pregnancy Prevention Month Ad 5/1/2012


I came across this advertisement for National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month while reading my Seventeen Magazine. Even just based on the title of the foundation, I am sold on the message they are trying to send, the audience obviously being teenage girls. But based on the picture, it really caught my attention because of the bold black background and a huge quote right smack dab in the center of the page. It was interesting that they chose pink as well, maybe for the reason being the color pink represents a baby girl being born or it was just a pop of color to the picture. For whatever reason, it was a good addition to the advertisement. Oddly though, the baby bottle in the background wasn’t really noticeable to me until after a while of assessing the ad, but I understand why they put it for the reasons of pregnancy and babies. Now for the big bold words in the middle of the page. That definitely caught my eye and just the “750,000 teenage girls” in bold black made me want to read exactly what it was about. Although this is a very persuasive way to stray people away from what they are trying to prevent by adding proven facts, it still has some trickery within, making the information on the page not totally true although it may seem at first. When it says nearly, it is a play on words making it sound more sophisticated and seem as though a total of 750,000 girls will become pregnant each year, when in reality that number may have never been reached. It is similar to using “up to” or “close to” never giving an exact number or limit. It also is trying to make it on a personal level by saying “Don’t be a statistic!” and asking “Did you know…” Overall, I believe this advertisement would be very effective on most teen girls and anyone who happens to read it just as it was on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment