Sunday, May 6, 2012

Media Log #4- Abercrombie and Fitch 5/6/2012



If the name "Abercrombie and Fitch" was covered on both of these bags, I am sure most if not everyone would still be able to guess where they came from. Abercrombie and Fitch is well-known for having these types of bags with half-naked guys on the front of them with cloth material for handles and looking as though it costs a bucket load to make just one bag. But with all these naked guys seen all over the place on the shopping bags for a clothing store, shouldn't the models at least be wearing their store-brand clothing or logo or even something at all to advertise for a, shall I repeat again, a clothing store? This just shows they are using the common advertising technique of Sex Appeal to lure in their customers by putting pictures of naked guys on their bags, in their stores, and even having real-life models stand at the entrance of the stores from time to time. Their target audience is definitely teenage girls around thirteen to early twenties, assuming that the common teenager finds the above attracive and appealing. I myself have to admit that I have fallen under the spell of the "oh so amazing" bags with ruggedly handsome half-naked guys, and many times faceless bodies with ripped six packs and toned biceps on both sides of them. I am ashamed to say I even have a collection going in my room with a bag full of empty Abercromie bags sitting in my closet. But still, that is a huge assumption to make, considering everyone is different and has their own sense of what that like and dislike. I have to admit though, this clothing industry has become probably one of the top stores a mojority of teenage girls shop at mainly because of the naked guys being practically everywhere.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, after reading your comment about the target audience being teenagers, i couldn't help but laugh because that is so true. I, myself, love to just walk inside this store and practically stare at the all the hot guys. I mean, how can you not?! They're so cute! Also, i think the bags are a great touch for an advertisement of the store... Who wouldn't want to be seen walking around with a bag that has a six-pack/"Hot Bod" on it... Great choice of advertisement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to comment on this because there isn't a day where at least one person at our school is carrying an Abercrombie & Fitch bag. Have you noticed that the pictures on the bags have gotten worse? Before (at least on the abercrombie kids bags) there was a picutre of a guy on one side and a girl on the other side. Now its the same guy on both sides who not just shirtless, but completely naked. I think it has gone to far. They have already made it quite clear that they use the sex appeal approach to attract people, but they need to no there should be a limit. Girl teenagers are not the only people in a mall, other people see those bags, children see those bags, parents see those bags, and frankly I don't find them appropriate. That's why you will never see me with their bags at school. They are very sturdy bags, that's for sure, but they make me uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete